Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Week 2
The best teacher I ever had was my junior year of high school. I was taking AP psychology and had a teacher named Mr. Wheeler. He did not spend the whole class time lecturing or teaching from our book. He engaged the students while at the same time challenging them to look at things in a new or different way. He taught in a way that made students want to come to class and actually participate. He told incredible stories and led great classroom discussions. He was able to relate the material to our lives as high schoolers which made class that much more fun. He actually wanted us to know the material not just memorize for tests or the AP exam. He put the effort into each and every one of us and treated us as adults who could make their own decisions and draw their own conclusions. He made sure we all knew he was genuiely there for us if we needed anything, even if it wasn't school related. He would give assignments such as art projects which tied into perceptions in the psychological realm. He also gave us assignments that helped us to get to know one another and form a strong class bond. Many people in my class, including Mr. Wheeler, I still keep in touch with. And, best of all, I still remember much of what I learned that year, including the lessons not found in out textbook.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
its very impressive that someone can hold the respect of their students and still have fun, goof around, and still inspire good work from them.
Post a Comment